Sonntag, 23. April 2017

Fuchs!

After more than 2 years of planning, today the Fuchs wheels were mounted!
The before picture:

... and the after picture:

In the rear I changed from 185/65/15 to 205/65/15 which means a more meaty tyre:
A slight bigger diameter and more width.

No tyre rubbing, no issues on full lock, the wheels seem to work perfect...

Montag, 10. April 2017

New shoes, once more...

Well, it is about time for another set of wheels. Today I had the first 2 wheels mounted and balanced, unfortunately my wheel dealer ran out out of black balance weights... Nothing a black rattle can can't cure...


Montag, 3. April 2017

The last chapter...

After the clutch and everything else was assembled, all noises were gone, I wanted to start a test drive. Believe it or not, yet another problem occured. I was unable to to find reverse...
Today I removed the shift rod coupler cover and found this:
The shift rod coupler fouled the chassis - This prevented the reverse to be engaged.
I tried some deforming of the metal, but I finally used the grinder:



This cut out is invisble, after the cover is re-installed. I have no idea why the gearbox sits like this, but this was the only way to solve it on short notice!

Samstag, 1. April 2017

It ain't over 'til it's over!

Another week passed, another time engine out and in again... Yesterday I was positively sure that all is o.k. - just a little adjustment on the clutch and back onto the streets. Well, that didn't quiet worked out the way it should. Another squeeking noise - this time from the clutch / throw out bearing - only during clutch engagement, plus the fact that the clutch did not disengage, called for yet another engine pull. Today I did again what I can do now almost blindfolded. This time Oli was my mental and physical support. Actually we diagnosed and measured several things, but no "ah - look at this - no wonder it didn't work" moment. Anyway, after we were convinced that each and every bit looked o.k. and some burrs were removed, some surfaces were molykote lubed, we assembled everything for the gazillionth time. We started the engine and checked the clutch: for the first time all feels and sounds well!
Maybe tomorrow we will see a test drive... depending on the weather! 

Montag, 27. März 2017

IRS: the final

The last 2 weekends were a rollercoaster of ups and downs. Last week Sunday my friend Rui and I installed the engine. Upon the first start a shreeking noise couldn't be ignored.
As the engine, flywheel and starter were the same as before and the sound appeared to come from the gearbox, I suspected the gearbox to be faulty. So, engine out again! Nothing in the bellhousing, no rub marks, no metal flakes. All looked fine. Then I removed all the type 3 cooling stuff to check for signs of rubbing or wear. Again, nothing- everything looked perfect.
Then I organized another gearbox - a big Thank you to Thomas - and mated the egine to the box, outside of the vehicle. Upon start the same annoying sound appeared again!
Was there something wrong with the engine? It ran fine before. The only thing I worked on was the oil pump. To remove the oil pump, all cooling tins and propellers had to be removed again! Then, at least there were minor signs of contact between the gears and the oil pump cover - but this couldn't be the source of the noise.
As I was certain the engine MUST be o.k. internally, I reassembled it yet again - Thank you to Ralf for the spontaneous help!
Sunday morning, all wires, the header, exhaust and heater pipes had to be mounted again.
Guess what, the same story again. Shreeking noises. Then Olli stopped by, checked the situation and pointed towards the starter - which was also a possible source of the noise. So, we started the engine and removed the starter with the engine running and: The noise was gone!
So I harvested the Streaker and used it's starter in the type 3  with instant success, the engine ran beautifully, no disturbing noises!

Finally, I used the "noisy" starter in the Streaker and it works perfect - just like before in the type 3! I don't know exactly why, but I don't care anymore, both engines start with no issues- success in the end!
Tomorrow will hopefully see the Fastback back on its wheels for a proper test ride...

Mittwoch, 22. März 2017

Breaking news:Edd China quits Wheelers Dealers after 13 seasons!


See for yourself:


Sad to hear, but I totally understand his reasons. I've learned a lot from him and I am convinced he will start over bigger and better as before. Already looking forward how exactly...
Wrench on, Edd! 

Samstag, 18. März 2017

Another inci"dent"

When you think you're almost done...
Yesterday I planned to re-install the engine, when I checked the CV-joint to subframe clearance once more:

About 3-4 mm clearance - which is far too less. With the added weight of the engine and some torque applied during launch, there will be problems...

So, first of all, I needed a tool...
A worn out Porsche 944 CV joint outer ring came very handy, the outer diameter is 100 mm. I added a handle for "operation dent-ist"



This tool, a blow torch and a hammer was an effective set of tools. I "dented" both legs within 30 mins. A rattle can primer and some black paint and it was done!

Now there is ample clearance!


While I was at it, I changed to the correct IRS specific E-brake cables. The swing axle cables were a tad bit short...